Sunday 8 May 2016

Say what needs to be said. You never know.




I recently had some alone time on my hands and so I decided to watch a movie. I chose American Sniper because I had been told it was great movie. Being a bit of war history buff I was looking forward to but was totally unprepared for the impact it had on me.


In many ways it was a typical war film, but it have some interesting scenes showing the relationship between Chris Kyle and his wife Taya. It shows their relational struggles both during his 4 tours in Iraq and upon his return home. How he and they had to learn to cope with all he has been through, while picking up the pieces of a largely shattered marriage.

They end of the movie shows little about the timeframe of how long it took, but they managed to piece their lives back together in the movie. In the final scenes show a family and a marriage that is extremely well connected and solid. The last scene happens where Chris Kyle powerfully affirms his wife and his children and they him.


He then walks out the door and is killed by someone he is trying to help. This obviously devastates the family, but there must have been some kind of closure, because the things that needed to be said had been said!!

It profoundly showed me how we need to keep short accounts.......... not necessarily waiting for the right time or just having time, to say the things that those around us should and need to hear. I am not talking about negativity, but "words of life" that could bring closure over time if needed. We do not know when our time may come. Even if they are not needed for that reason today.They simply bring a better quality of life. I suppose some of this thinking is also sharpened by a number of sudden deaths within our wider set of friends and acquaintances.


Words and Actions that speak of:
  • Love
  • Appreciation
  • Praise and affirmation
  • Apology
I know, I need to keep short accounts in these areas.

What about you?

Say what needs to be said while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment