Saturday 16 July 2016

The option-tunity of legacy

In todays world there are many opportunities for a lot of us. There seems to be a huge range of choices of what we could do with our life. What do we want to do with our education, our recreation, our career, our personal life, our relationships and family? A veritable smorgasbord choice in so many areas. Some would regard me as old, I may prefer deep into middle age, but even I have choices going forward. How will I choose to live the rest of my life?

I have heard of a strategy described as living with the end in mind. Some would say designing your own epitaph. What kind of legacy do you want leave behind. What will people who know you, know of you or have interactions with you, remember you for or by? In other words what sort of inheritance do you want to leave when you are no longer alive?

I believe whether you are 9 or 99 you always have a choice to learn and develop. You still have the opportunity to change what will happen or rectify what has happened. The choice or option is yours.

I believe it starts with self discovery: 
Who am I? What do I believe?  What are my values?What do I want? Who am I connected to? Who could I be connected to? Who do I want to be connected to?

What am I good at? What gifts and talents do I have? What options can I develop? What experience do I already have? What training or educational options is available?


Where Do I want To be in 5 years or 10 years? Where do I want to be emotionally, relationally financially and physically?  What opportunities would I desire after that period of time.

As I ponder these questions, I encourage you to also do so. Lets call it a life health check.
A cautionary note!

No comments:

Post a Comment