Monday 26 September 2016

2017 is just around the corner!

In line with the Ritchie McCaw movie last week I was thinking about how our plans don't always work out the way we expect. I would say it is quite rare for things to go as planned. There is always a need to reassess where we are, and from that there may be a need  make new decisions, to modify our thoughts, to reposition ourselves for further action. But.....................how often are we able to do that?

I think a lot of our difficulty comes for the fact that we often act first then decide we need a plan. When we are impulsive it leaves us vulnerable because we simply have not considered all of the possibilities we face. It sounded like a good idea at the time!! Even when we plan our planning often only covers the areas we want to consider, not taking areas of risk into account.

I know come next year I will need to have some plans in place for what I think 2017 could  bring. It is so easy to drift along even if we have a vague sort of idea about where I think I could end up or what I want to do. Because everything is a little bit vague it is so much easier to just give up because we don't really know what is working and what is not. A destination point is not a plan it is at best an itinerary and unless it shows detail on the way not even a good one of those.

This is all very counter cultural to my nature, I am a BIG Picture thinker. I get the idea of destination but not always the concept of the detail of how this might happen. So for me I need to put into practice all that I know about planning.  Coming up with some staged plans that will allow me to actually stand a reasonable chance of seeing that which I have a vision for coming to fruition. It is far to easy for me just decide it is not working and QUIT! Changing direction because I feel I am not getting where I want to go. I need some basic and simple planning using S.M.A.R.T goals that will allow me to step forward into 2017 with some confidence. Now is the time to plan for 2017, not January 1st, it is all a bit late by then, at that stage you only end up 10 months to work with, not 12!

Most of us don't fail we just QUIT!

If we don't have a plan how can we make new decisions, modify our thoughts, reposition ourselves for further action.

Looking for change in 2017! It is time for us to do some "Intentional Living". We are going to plan together!

Until next time and some S.M.A.R.T goals!

Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment