Monday 12 September 2016

Can we solve "Catch 22"?

Over the last little while I have been thinking about recreation time. What might that look like? Does it have to be a sport, a project or a hobby. What is recreation anyway?

 I like to think of it as Re.....Creation something that builds me , gives me life.

So I began to think, my nature is to love to sit and read a book for hours or use the model trains I have to do shunting puzzles. Is this realistic however, to actually think that I might have hours to do those wonderfully relaxing things. If I was completely honest I would have to say no, because nothing else gets done. Therein lies "Catch 22", if I consistently relax and  just do those enjoyable things, then other things; lawns gardens, house maintenance  and washing cars gets behind and  a level of angst sets in. That kind of defeats the purpose.

Now I know that some people are highly energetic in their relaxation pastimes riding, climbing, running but they would seem to have same glitch as the book and the train i.e. nothing else gets done.
So the question is can I get enough enjoyment out of the lawns gardens, house maintenance  and washing cars to call it recreation. I thought I won't know until I try. Now I must admit I did not think the answer was yes. Might be that I am naturally sedentary and like things to relax that don't take a lot of physical exertion. So I didn't like my chances at making this work.

I must after trying some of these things over three weekends in a row I have actually got a lot of satisfaction from these activities. I have done lawns, gardens for three weeks  and washed three cars as this last Sunday afternoon. I must say that I have a great sense of achievement that has given a really good sense of well being, True Re...Creation! I think that it was because I decided to give it a good try not be half hearted, but make a choice to enjoy it if possible.

I think the attitude as I said in  a previous blog makes such a huge difference. The other thing That I did was to read a little and use my trains a little and I finished the weekend feeling content and relaxed. You can't beat a balanced approach.

What brings you life........ can you balance those things out with the chores you have to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment