Monday 31 October 2016

Why.....Indeed


As a life coach, I was trained not to use the word “why” in my questioning techniques. This is ostensibly because when you use it with other people it implies some form of judgement. That you are questioning that persons decision. It can often be construed as a negative.

I was thinking about this recently. I came to the conclusion that the word "why" is a very powerful in our own personal repertoire for exactly the same reason. It implies judgement, it forces us to look at our decisions. Why would chose to do that? Or conversely why would we decide not to do that?

I have made a couple of decisions using this technique recently. When I have been looking carefully at a decision. In the end I did not make the decision I normally would have expected, but I am very content with my choices. I believe I made a better choice by critically asking the question Why would I do this or conversely why would I not do this?

Add “why” to your personal decision making repertoire; it forces you reconsider and make judgement before making a final decision.

Simple but effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment