Sunday 6 November 2016

Never too old to learn


I was on Church set up yesterday. Our church takes place in a local community centre that has multiple users both in the week and weekend. So we must set up the main community hall meet to our requirements each week. That involves make sure the kitchen is prepared and everything is ready for the service. One of the tasks is putting out the chairs ready for the service. Now you think that maybe a fairly basic task, just set them and follow the church pattern and to a certain extent that is true.

There are however some ways of approaching this that are better than others. The task of setting out chairs requires us to move the chairs in stacks of six from a storage area to the main auditorium. Now I have usually moved from the chairs closest to the front first and worked my way back, fairly straight forward. Now yesterday I was working with a couple that own and manage a funeral home and have to move chairs around a lot. I was busy in the kitchen when I came to do the chairs they were well into moving them. Rather than moving from front to back they were moving from right to left. The space on the right was actually much more open as opened out into another storage part. As I looked I realised how much more efficient their method was for both putting them out and returning them.

It dawned on me that no matter how often you have done something you can always see a better way either from someone else or a good idea of you own! You are never too old or too experienced to learn a better way! It’s not we are too old, we just stop trying to learn. Look for a new way to do something this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment