Tuesday 24 January 2017

An assumption???

I don't know about you but there are times when you get things in your head that "I don't like this or I am no good at this and that is that." It doesn't matter how much anyone tries to persuade you that it's not true it makes no difference you won't budge.

I have had one of those for years and strangely it is about walking any distance with my wife. She is a very quick walker and I have always found it uncomfortable to keep pace with her. So I have avoided to process wherever I can. I have no problem running, but dislike walking intensely. Well as I talked about in one of the other blogs I have just come back to running after over a decade away. I felt this was an okay thing to after spending virtually an hour a day in the gym on a treadmill, walking or on a static bike for 35 days on a cruise. This was just to make sure I didn't put the 10Kg back on I had just lost with the rich ship food. So I came off the boat aerobically fit, so I thought I should be okay to run.

So far I have had no injuries.  I have had a chequered past as far as running injuries go. One put me out for 9 months and the last one put me out all together. When I run lately I must admit I am a little paranoiac with little twinges here and there. This weekend I developed a bit of a cough so I decided that it might not be a good idea to run. My conclusion was that I would walk for 50 minutes.

So off I set "power walking" along and to my surprise I was moving quiet quickly and with relative comfort. All my prejudices seemed to be invalid. I came to the conclusion it was just because I was so much fitter and had been stretching for a month and half. So instead of running the "Round the Bays Fun Run" I have decided to walk with my wife and daughter. I would not have even considered this a month ago.

I remembered reading a book called "Self Leadership and the One Minute Manager" which talked about challenging our assumptions. I realised that was what I had just done. I had assumed that my situation and circumstances were still same. This was not the case; I was a lot fitter and I have been stretching and involved in walking and running for over two and half month. So my assumed constraint that I found it difficult to stretch my stride was no longer valid. I had prepared for this walking in a way that had never happened before.

What the things in your life that you are not attempting because of past history, old data that may not now be valid? Think about it! You could be on the verge of a breakthrough and not know it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment