Monday 6 June 2016

10% Inspiration and.......................

Inspiration is an interesting commodity in todays world. There is a great deal of emphasis placed on things that inspire us or people that inspire us. We have quotes flying all over the internet of things that people have said that are supposed to inspire and encourage us.

This week I have had a few things described to me as inspirational. So I started to think about what is inspirational? After some thought I feel that inspiration is like the ignition system in a car it gets the car started, but it is not what in the end will drive it forward.

I am more inclined towards the concept that greatness is achieved by 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration. Many things are  started (inspiration), but few are followed through to completion perspiration. My job is to take inspiration and work with it to see something worthwhile develop.

Here are some definitions that might help:

inspiration (n.) Look up inspiration at Dictionary.com
c. 1300, "immediate influence of God or a god," especially that under which the holy books were written, from Old French inspiracion "inhaling, breathing in; inspiration" (13c.), from Late Latin inspirationem (nominative inspiratio), noun of action from past participle stem of Latin inspirare "blow into, breathe upon," figuratively "inspire, excite, inflame," from in- "in" (see in- (2)) + spirare "to breathe" (see spirit (n.)).


Another set of definitions which fit in with modern culture
  1. A person, object, or situation which quickens or stimulates an influence upon the intellect, emotions or creativity. 
  2. A new idea, especially one which arises suddenly and is clever or creative.  [

I would accept all of these definitions as part of my values system. I do believe in "divine breath." I also believe that people under that influence can be inspirational to me.

So who inspires me:
I will start with a couple historical figures and the reason why?

Winston Churchill has always inspired me given that I am a Baby Boomer born after World War 2 and during the Cold War. Brought up on Commando war comics and having a great love for English history. Why do I admire Churchill? Firstly he had an unshakeable sense of destiny; he knew no matter what his life looked like,  he was created for a purpose and greatness. He became a symbol of the character of a generation that overcame huge odds to triumph .Another point for me is he did his best work in his 60's being 71 at the end of the war.( I must be getting older)



Martin Luther King Jnr was a leader in a different generation leading for a different reason.. His cause was social justice. Martin Luther King Jnr came  as a man of peace, with great courage he stood against violence and corruption to see his  dream achieved. He did not live to see the full effect of what he set out to achieve. It is still unfolding!

\

I think that one of the things that inspires me about both King and Churchill was that they were not perfect saints. They had  some spectacular character flaws but still achieved their purpose in their generation.

Rachel Joy Scott was actually incredibly young, but still achieved her purpose in her generation. a victim of the Columbine massacre on April 20 1999 in Colorado in the United States. She was able to work on a small scale of an every day high school student but still inspire a generation of her peers. It encourages me that we may never know how or what we will do will effect others; walking our everyday journey.
She walked to a different drum beat and that made all the difference. If you don't know who she is look for the book called "Rachel's Tears"


Whether we perform on the macro or micro stage we can still have a profound influence on those around us .

The next two inspirational people are so special because I walk with them on a daily and weekly basis.

Colin Shilston is a man of honour and integrity I have walked with for 18 years. I have privilege of journeying with him through the good, the bad and sometimes the down right ugly. He is a rare commodity in this day and age "authentic man". Above all he is a man of courage to stand for what he believes when to it is not popular, acknowledge when he gets it wrong, and last but not least, give his utmost for God's highest in this generation.

I will continue to be inspired by this man and consider it an absolute honour to know him.

I have saved the best till last. The person I am going to acknowledge is my beautiful wife of 30 years Bev. This wonderful women has been my companion for 30+ years. I watched her walk through  the difficult places with integrity and courage. She has done things in that should not have been able to be done but she has achieved them anyway. She is starting to see the fruits of her labours, while still dealing with the curve balls that life throws at her. I am so privileged and inspired to journey with you truly do do encapsulate the 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration. The quiet achiever! my love you inspire me everyday!

Who inspires you? But most importantly why?

No comments:

Post a Comment