Monday 17 April 2017

Learning our ABC's

As a coach it is important understand the cultural and technical context we function in. Our cultural and technical world is constantly changing so it becomes increasingly important that we keep up. There is a high probability that we may chose to operate within a certain societal sector or vocational sector. However I still believe however we should have a reasonable idea of what the rest of our society is up to.

Hence my statement that we need to keep up with our ABC's. 
Always
Be
Current (as you can)

This in someways seems easier said than done as you get a little older. Especially in the field of technology. Everything seems to be constantly changing and I must say I struggle to keep up on occasions with technology. The idea of having people who help you in this area makes a lot of sense. There are also times where you have to change mentors. My youngest daughter has usually taken the role for me in technology. However I have made the move across to a Mac based platform with mac computer, ipads and iphones interconnected. Which means I now need the support of my son who is the "Mac Whiz". It has proved an amazing shift having all my devices in sink. I have been a long time i phone user but have had a Samsung laptop and android tablet. This made connectivity between platforms difficult.

I must say it has a lot a freedom that I did not understand before. Because the rest of my children are high end Apple users we can now have a family calendar which is much easier to use. My youngest daughter is now going to Europe and Britain for an indefinite period, but having made this technological upgrade it doesn't feel quite so bad as we will be able to stay in touch much more easily. Now I do not claim to be a digital native but having started a new journey feels good.




When we step beyond technology and into general New Zealand, we may not agree with all that happens around us, but sticking our heads in the sand won't change anything. There is a statement that "knowledge is power," so making efforts stay current  is very useful. You can't agree or disagree with something you don't know about!
Whether we like it or not change is a constant so at least have an informed decision process while being true to who you are and and your own values.


(Written on a Mac)

No comments:

Post a Comment