Monday 10 April 2017

One foot in front of the other

When you are working as a coach there is so much that you know that you kind of forget until you have to use it again on yourself. It is not as often when you get older that you get to try something that you have never attempted before. Something genuinely new! (Unless it is technology)

Well I had that experience this weekend. A really close friend of my daughters who we look upon as part of the family, another daughter if you will, asked me to take her wedding as the celebrant. This was something I had never considered before, but felt that it was the right thing to do. So I decided to give it a go.

I had had some experiences that were going to make this task easier than starting from scratch. So it became a matter of drawing on those experiences to help me in the situation. The first thing I had to do was actually go through the legal process of becoming a wedding celebrant.This was a matter of just working through the the procedures that were necessary.

I have literally just completed Loree's wedding and we had a fabulous day. Some of that was down to using the resources around me. I have a friend who is a celebrant and she was able to mentor me through the process. She shared resources and checked through preparations that I had made. I had worked through the process well by the time that the day arrived.

That is my point we need not fear new situations if we have done our preparations well. When we have done everything we possibly can going into a new situation, it helps to build confidence. This means that we have done all that can be done with what we have, before we start. For me this meant having completed a script of what I was going to say, compiling folders for my script and for the two certificates to be signed in.  Having both of the folders checked by my mentor meant that the procedures had been checked the necessary equipment had been checked.


I had done all that was possible in that situation and in the end the result was fabulous. This with all the preparations complete it just came down to using the particular skills and experiences already had to ensure that the experience was successful. There are very few situations you can not find and apply previous experience and skills to help build your confidence and prospects of success.



Previous skills and experience + sound preparation = confidence to do well.

Note I do not say guaranteed good result, just optimized conditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment